S. EMILIANO's Church
Named after the first bishop and martyr, and Patron
Saint of the town, the actual building was almost
entirely rebuilt in 1893 on Neo-classical lines
with echoes of the 1400s after a plan by Carimini.
All that remain from earlier churches are the
three beautiful apses (XIcent),the delicately
sculptured portal (XVc.) and the Altar of the
Blessed Sacrament by Rocco da Vicenza (1522),
and various XV and XVI cent. frescoes, a recently
restored painted wooden crucifix, and two statues
of St. Emiliano, one from the XVcent. and the
one used in the processions (1751).
S. FRANCIS's Church
The church has been first built during the XIII
century and completely renewed during the XIV
The abbey has been initiated by Francesco himself
and than completely rebuilt. Inside there is a
XIV century crucifix and an organ pipe dated back
to 1509. The abbey hosts the S.Francesco Art Collection
which includes XIV and XVII century paintings.
PIETRAROSSA's Church The church
of S MARIA di PIETRAROSSA is to be found in
the centre of a much neglected ARCHEOLOGICAL
SITE perhaps originally part of a spa or thermal
springs. Here, there are Roman remains and numerous
MADONNA delle LACRIME's Church
OUR LADY OF TEARS half way down the road to
Borgo is an imposing Renaissance temple built
on the site where a Madonna painting shed blood-stained
tears. The elegant portal (1495 ) is by Giovanni
di Giampetro da Venezia. Inside are to be found
frescoes altars by Spagna (1520) and Perugino
(1521),also the Valenti family tombs. For visits
apply to the adjacent Istituto mons. Bonilli.
St. MARTINO's Church XV century
church with important frescos by the Umbria
school artists Tiberio D’Assisi, Mezzastris
and Io Spagna.
In the abbey refectory is The Last Supper (l'Ultima
Cena - 1601). The cloister is decorated by Ascensidonio
St. PIETRO DI BOVARA's CHURCH
XII century church. Founded by benedettini.
Inside we can found a precious wooden crucifix
(XII century) and some of the paintings of that
period can be found inside the sacristy.