St. Vincenzo Ferreri Church
Trevi itself is Borgo Trevi, where the
nearby church of San Vincenzo Ferreri is
worth a visit.
Two kilometres from Trevi in the direction of
Foligno, near the Via Flaminia and the remains
of some Roman baths, there is the church of
Santa. Maria di Pietrarossa, a 14th century
therapeutic sanctuary. The massive Gothic
entrance is 15th century. A number of 14th and
15th century votive frescoes adorn the interior.
The belief that the sanctuary has beneficial effects
for skin is based on three ritualistic components:
the water of St John from the nearby well, the
red stone embedded in the fifth column of the
right hand nave and the fresco of St John.
off, still in the direction of Foligno, stands
the lonely 1395 watch tower Torre di Matigge,
which has remained perfectly intact even in its
crenellations. At Matigge there is the
church of San Donato.
A kilomentre southwards from Trevi, towards the
Via Flaminia, stands the church of Santa Maria
delle Lacrime. The building dates back to
the Renaissance and was erected in 1475 to a design
by Antonio Marchisi. Fine bas-reliefs adorn the
entrance. The latin cross interior houses the
funerary monuments of the Valenti family from
the 16th to the 17th century. Above the second
altar to the right hangs the 'last painted
work by Perugino (1521), 'Adoration of the
Magi with St Peter and St Paul'. The miraculous
image of the Madonna, believed to cry and from
which the church takes its name, is on the altar
of the right hand arm of the transept.
3 km south of Trevi, stands the abbey of San
Pietro, which dates back to the 12th century.
The facade has been extensively remodelled and
presents an arched entrance embedded into the
structure with a two-mullioned window either side
in line with the lateral naves of the interior.
The central rose window is surmounted by a drum.
The central nave has barrel vaulting, while cross
vaulting has been used for the lateral naves.
The crypt is beneath the raised persbitery. A
wooden Crucifix in one of the lateral chapels
has been indicated by some as having a connection
with St Francis' vision of thrones. The fact that
it dates from the 14th century makes this supposition
highly unlikely, however.