Hotel Antica Dimora alla Rocca Trevi, Italy > Assisi > Four Star Hotel in Umbria near Assisi

Book Here
 
Antica Dimora alla Rocca Hotel Logo

Hotel Antica Dimora alla Rocca

Hotel halfway between
Assisi and Spoleto

Trevi Umbria Hotel - Exclusive Accommodation at the Four Star Hotel Antica Dimora alla Rocca
English
Italiano

Palazzo Storico in Piazza della Rocca - Trevi , Italy

Assisi

St. Francesco Church

St. Francesco Church

Of Umbrian origins, the settlement became a Roman municipium under the name of Asisium. Until the 13th century the extension of the town coincided with the Roman one. Bishop Rufinus evangelised the inhabitants in 238 A.D. Taken by Totila in 545, it then became part of the Longobard and Frankish Duchy of Spoleto. In the 11th century a free commune is constituted: being of Ghibelline faith it always lived in opposition to the Guelfish Perugia. In 1198, taking advantage from the absence of the imperial vicar, Conrad von Lutzen, the inhabitants of Assisi attacked his fortress.
As Perugia tried to interfere with the liberation struggle of Assisi, the latter marched against Perugia and was beaten in a battle at Ponte San Giovanni. Among the prisoners taken by Perugia was a certain 22-years-old Giovanni di Bernardone, called Francesco. He was born in the winter between 1181 and 1182 as the child of a wealthy textile tradesman, Pietro di Bernardone, whose family came from Lucca, and his Provenšal wife Pica. After the captivity in Perugia, Francesco decided to make a reputation for knighthood participating in the crusade of Walter de Brienne, but an illness forced him to renounce already at Spoleto. In the meantime, in Assisi in 1197 was christened the future emperor Frederick II, three years after his birth on the market square of Jesi (near Ancona). Francesco decided to change his life, renouncing to the riches and the eases of his family fortune and praying at San Damiano had the vision which ordered him to restore the Church (1205).
In 1208, Francesco who had in the meantime received as a gift from the Benedictines the chapel of S. Maria degli Angeli, called as well the Porziuncola, founded his order of the Grey-Friars. After his encounter with Chiara di Favarone di Offreduccio, daughter of a noble Assisi family, in 1212 he founded for her a second order, the Clarisse's. Finally, in 1221 he founded in Cannara the Third Order (a lay-order). In 1224 he recieved at La Verna the stigmata and in 1226 expired at the Porziuncola. Only two years later he was proclaimed saint and the day after Pope Gregory IX laid the foundation stone of the church and the convent planned by Brother Elias, a companion of the Saint. Also St. Clare was canonised two years after her death of 1253 and a year later begun the construction of the curch in her honour.

Assisi Square

Assisi square

Notwithstanding the presence of these two eminent religious figures the future history of Assisi did not show many traces of it. In 1316 it enlargened its town-walls, incorporating the convent and church of St. Francis, the Benedictine convent of S. Peter and the town quarter Borgo Aretino. The decline of Assisi begun after the black death in 1348. In order to assure the Pontifical dominion over Assisi, Cardinal Aegidius Albornoz erected in 1367 the Rocca Maggiore on top of the ruins of the former imperial fortress.
Since the 14th century and until the 16th century the two major Assisi families, the Nepis (of the upper town=Parte de Sopra) and the Fiumi (of the lower town=Parte de Sotto) continued to fight each other bitterly, although the town was dominated for long periods by several seignories (Biordo Michelotti, Broglio di Trinci, Galeazzo Visconti, Braccio Fortebraccio, Francesco Sforza, Jacopo Piccinino). Only under the reign of Pope Pius II Piccolomini (1458-64) the domination of the Church over Assisi has been definitely restored.

  Panoramic view of Assisi

Getting to Assisi by car:

From the north (Milan, Florence), the best exit for Assisi on the A1 motorway at Valdichiana, where the superstrada SS75bis branches into Umbria at Lake Trasimene and continues towards Perugia-Assisi. From Rome travelling northwards along the A1 motorway the best exit for reaching Assisi is at Orte, which is connected to the regional capital at first by the ss204 to Terni and then by the E45 (or SS3bis) from Terni to Perugia-Assisi.
The A14 motorway down the Adriatic coast of Italy has an exit at Cesena for the E45 "superstrada" to Città di Castello and Perugia-Assisi.

Getting to Assisi by train:

From the North, the main line between Florence and Rome has a station at Terontola (on the branch line to Lake Trasimene, Perugia, Assisi, Spello, and Foligno), so coming from Florence take one of the dozen daily trains to Terontola/Cortona (1'/2 hr.) that meet up with a connecting train to Assisi/S.Maria degli ANgeli (45 to 60 min.).
From the South, the main line between Rome and Ancona has a station at Foligno (on the branch line to Spello, Assisi, Perugia and Lake Trasimene), so coming from Rome, take one of the nine daily trains on the line to Ancona, stop at Foligno (1 hr., 40 min. to 2 hr.), where you can transfer to a Perugia-bound train (10 to 15 min.). All the cited lines are part of the FS state-run railway system and stop at a station on Santa MAria degli Angeli, well away from the historic center (about 3km) but a 30-minute ride on buses from the center of town (C Line). Bus services leave from the forecourt outside the station and drop you in Piazza Matteotti.

 

We look forward to seeing you at the
Hotel Antica Dimora alla Rocca!


Click here for the Hotel Virtual Tour !

St. Francesco or St. Francis

St. Francis


 
 

Site Designed and Maintained by : Fisheyes Ltd. - Copyright © www.hotelanticadimora.com

 

Palazzo Storico in Piazza della Rocca - 06039 TREVI - Umbria (Italy) - Hotel-Relais de Charme Antica Dimora alla Rocca